Thursday, February 28, 2008

Eggs


Beautiful!!
Now that is a big egg!!


If you know Chuck and I you know that we support buying local. One of the biggest benefits to buying local besides supporting our economy is that you can find the farmer who is growing what your eating and talk to them, maybe even visit their farm. It is so important to know what you are putting into your body. Now we all don't have time to drive around and visit every place we get our food. So that is where Chuck and I come in~ not that we will always be able to visit the farms or plants where the products are made but if we do you can be sure we will share it with you.

Now onto the business of eggs. I can't even remember the last time Chuck and I bought eggs. We are lucky enough to have laying chickens on the farm, but for the purpose of this blog we bought eggs, and not just any eggs. These eggs come from the Schlangen Organic Farm in Freeport Minnesota- just north of St. Cloud.
Last weekend I had the pleasure of visiting the farm. I did not actually go to tour but Alvin, the farmer, offered to show me the hens. At the time I did not know that I would be starting this blog or I might have asked more questions. Anyway the hens have plenty of room to exercise absolutely no cages just a bunch of nesting boxes. They have a huge window that lets sun in, Alvin said they are working on adding even more windows. In the summer the hens are given pasture to roam, truly free range eggs! Oh, and they eat organic feed.
Because Chuck and I already have eggs daily but never enough to make deviled I thought I would with Alvin's eggs. Not much to it, boil in water and then shell 'em. Right now all Alvin has are Jumbo eggs, part of his older hen management- not that I think that really matters we never weigh our eggs I just use what we have, big or small, and our recipes always turn out. (As hens age their eggs get bigger, and less frequent).
Only draw back I found~ the eggs are fresh! Okay how can that be a draw back, well if you have ever tried to peel fresh eggs you know what I mean. When we want to hard boil our eggs we have to plan at least a week in advance, I know it sounds weird but it is true fresh eggs are a pain to peel. The peel comes off in small bits and sometimes takes half the white with it. So I suggest if you want to hard boil Alvin's eggs buy two dozen:)
If you have questions or want to know where you can get Schlangen organic eggs please visit the website.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We actually do have some large and extra large eggs along with jumbo, extra jumbo and superJUMBO. However, none are as big as a cat. Jen volunteered to help us farmers make butter for the first time, so if you want to see our hens up close, 4 hrs of volunteer work will get you a short tour. Thanks Jen. The butter churned out great. This blog is exciting- promoting local quality. Alvin